I believe the key messages from this weeks readings were that journalists appreciate PR practitioners who are ethical, professional, informed and who attempt to appeal to both the individual preferences of journalists and the overarching structures and practices of the journalism industry. The second reading outlined the correct way to write and present a media release, paying careful attention to its purpose and intended audience. The third reading highlighted the many ways PR practitioners can utilise internet tools to communicate with the press, but emphasised the importance of maintaining the website as a credible source of information. Once again it is important to keep journalists on side as they are identified as an important audience in all the readings. It was evident how many organisations still don’t understand, effectively utilise or update their press centres on the web. Another idea was that regardless of country, similar trends seem to occur when it comes to website upkeep.
The key points in the readings could be applied to my groups work in that they emphasised the need for well refined communication strategies BEFORE the implementation of specific techniques. They also made me think about how we would target our messages to different media and the importance of monitoring whether our strategies are not only effective, but actually being carried out. Also for each initiative we undertake we must consider how to pitch that idea to the media within our small town community, why would they publish our release. We must also be careful not to sound self-serving as many journalists feel some PR releases do.
The readings made me think more about PR theory and practice in that they highlighted the multitude of ways PR practitioners can make use of the internet, but emphasised there was little point to these innovative techniques if they were not correctly utilised. It provided useful tips on what to include on the website (and what not to) and how to utilise the web most effectively. Sallot and Johnson’s reading demonstrated how important it is to consider journalistic techniques before writing a media release and to concentrate on being professional and accurate with everything from spelling, to facts. In the future I intend to keep an updated contact list, outlining how each journalist prefers to be contacted, as I believe this is an important concept. I will also draw on my own knowledge of journalism to improve my work and offer a piece that isn’t overtly self-serving but informative and accurate. I think the point that was also important in Gonzalez-Herrero’s reading was that the internet must complement, not replace other forms of communication and that well refined communication strategies must already be in place in order to succeed. The reading on how to write a media release was also very useful for tips on newsworthiness, emailing and style, including a useful checklist.
The readings related to the other reading I've done in previous weeks in that they again examined media relations and the importance of framing and adhering to the requirements of individual journalists if you are to succeed in your press coverage. Even on the web, two way communication is vital, there is little point setting up an enquiry form online if an answer is never received. This damages the credibility of the site and is a waste of time. So every initiative taken by the PR department must be monitored to ensure it is serving the right function. The media release reading also related to previous readings I have done in journalism and in last years PR course.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great blog Rachel! You have taken a really indepth look at the readings, and have obviously thought a lot about how they apply to our group assignment.
Rachel
this blog is one of the best - great to read, well written and great insights. I hope it's helping you get the most from the readings,
Mel
I have to agree that your blog is excellent. I thought I was doing a good job before I read yours and realised how far you take your ideas.
I also agree with the CC web addresses. I really need to be more internet savvy. Sending out that sort of information could lead to big problems.
Again great job (although you are setting the standard rather high for the rest of us to compete with!)
Post a Comment