I believe the key messages from this weeks readings were that the internet can be an unreliable source of information and must be assessed for its accuracy and timeliness, that research is an essential component in PR, there are many different types of research for each stage of PR and the best method must be determined to meet your objectives. Also that top management highly values higher research and communication skills.
The key points in the readings could be applied to my group's work in that they helped me realise we must check the validity of each others work in order to ensure accurate information, and even encourage each other to look beyond the internet to other sources. I also realise how important research foundations will be to our group work before we start to make planning decisions.
The readings made me think more about PR theory and practice in that I now see just how much research goes into every stage of the PR process and the important role it plays in informing sound judgments. I also see how much top management values sound research and judgment skills in a PR practitioner. Thinking pro- actively is an important skill to have. Rather then just being skilled at fixing a problem, why not preempt that problem and prevent it from happening in the first place through effective communication with key stakeholders and other publics. While expertise in the tools of the trade is important, sound judgment, problem solving skills and negotiation tactics are other essential skills needed to reach the top levels of PR.
The readings related to other reading I've done in the previous weeks in that I see how research is an integral component of the strategic plan and its effectiveness. There is no point having great ideas in your plan if they are not founded on accurate research and monitored all the way through the life of the plan. I also see how problem based learning will be of great assistance in the 'real' world of PR as these skills are highly valued.
Saturday, February 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment